Glottal stop; tips for the Australian Accent - Learning English - WE Club - Powered by Discuz!

WE Club

Forget Password?
 Register/注册

Login

WE Club 门户 查看主题

Glottal stop; tips for the Australian Accent

Posted by: RyanFollent@FB | Publish time: 2014-12-8 16:19| Views: 33328| Comments: 1|帖子模式

Have you ever heard an Australian speaker and wanted to understand how to get an Australian accent? I have a good tip for you which will help you learn the Australian accent if you practise it a little everyday.

Have you ever heard a person say "Bottle", or "Uh-oh"?

These two words have one sound in common, even if it is not obvious at first.

The sound between "Bot-" and "-tle", or between "Uh-" and "-oh" is called a glottal stop. Even though it can vary slightly in how it is pronounced, it is simply a sudden gap (or stop) in the middle or at the end of a word. Although glottal stops are heard in British and American English, they are far more common in Australian words. The stereotypic Australian word is "G'day Mate". The apostrophe in "G'day" is a glottal stop. Or words ending in '-ing', the letter 'i' is commonly pronounced as a glottal stop. Most Australians find it wierd to make the 'ng' sound after a glottal stop, and that is why most Australians pronounce the '-ing' with a 'n' sound at the end, not a 'ng' sound.

Latest comments

Wenly Post on 2014-12-10 00:50:56
I can't tell 'n' sound and 'ng' sound in Enlgish clearly.
I can't tell these two sounds in Chinese either...Maybe it's because I live in the southern part of China...
I think it will be better if someone can pronounce these two sounds just in front of me.

Mobile Version|Contact us|WE Club

GMT+10, 2019-7-21 16:43 , Processed in 0.476408 second(s), 22 queries .